[cups.general] ESP gs produces large PCL files

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Sep 6 05:34:45 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 02:22:46PM +0200, Felix E. Klee wrote:

> I own an HP LaserJet 1100 and upon a request concerning printing speed
> in LinuxPrinting's hp.general newsgroup, I did some benchmarks
> concerning the size of the PCL code generated by different drivers. I
> put a modified excerpt of the text to that NG below. Thus, this is
> somewhat of a crosspost, but I don't expect to get meaningful answers in
> the LinuxPrinting group. Now my questions:
>
>     Does anyone know why the Windows driver creates that much smaller
>     code than the drivers that I tried?

IIRC, PCL can store its binary datas in several modes, some of which
are compressed. Maybe gs doesn't output compressed datas and your
windows driver does.

Just a guess, you may want to download the PCL reference
bpl13205.pdf and bpl13210.pdf (search these names in Google,
the follow respectively second and first link)

bye

Jerome Alet