Multiuser linux to multiaccount samba printer

Bernhard Ege bme at hst.aau.dk
Thu Sep 9 01:54:07 PDT 2004

Michael Sweet wrote:

> Search the message archive for posts about this; essentially, we
> are working on an authentication mechanism but it won't be coming
> anytime soon.  There is a patch to the existing smbspool program
> that can be used to do some of this stuff, however we highly
> recommend that you just use LPD on the Windows system for this
> (Microsoft calls it "TCP/IP Printing Services") so that you don't
> need to get a password for the user (the username for each job is
> still passed)

I will have a look, but as the encironment is a mixture of students and employees we have to have authentication of who is printing the job. Username alone is not acceptable as it is too easily faked (for instance, the students may use their own computer as may the employees).

It is nice to hear that authentication is being worked upon.

Bernhard