individual printer lists

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Wed Sep 29 05:37:05 PDT 2004

Anonymous wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a large Linux terminal (about 100 terminals) installation at my school.  I have a single cups server serving approximately 10 printers around the network.
>
> It is getting to the point where the printer list is getting unmanageable.  I am wondering if there is a way to provide individuals with custom printer lists?
>
> For example, I would like user A to see printers 1,3 and 5 and be able to choos printer 3 as his default.  User B needs to see printers 2,4, and 6 and be able to select printer 6 as her default.  I don't see an obvious way to do this.  Does anyone know of a way this can be accomplished given the fact that everyone is essentially using the same computer (terminal server)  I'd be interested in any ideas, cups related or not.  I am familiar with the access controls and can restrict access to printe
>
> Since different applications (firefox, openoffice) handle printing differently, it seems like this might need to be addressed per application?
>
> Any help or thoughts are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Derek

I think there is something like this on the road for CUPS 1.2.x, but I'm
not sure.
Currently, the only workaround that comes to my mind is to install a
cupsd on each
of the client's Linux boxes and configure the printers selected for each
user as
IPP printers (the URI pointing to the print server's printers).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung