CLI vs WebInterface - different outcome

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Wed Sep 15 08:41:37 PDT 2004

Hi all.

I recently got a request to add 362 printers into CUPS. More printers to follow in the next week or so.

I have two options to do this - either create each printer queue via web interface or CLI. I'm sure everyone would agree that using the CLI would
be the best method.

Ok, here's where the problem arises. When creating a queue via CLI, testing the printer produces undesirable output; ie, "Test Page" is printed on a Legal-size paper and a text file is printed with the stair-step effect.

On the other hand, if the queue is created via web interface, the "Test Page" is normal; ie, it uses the normal standard 8x11 size paper and a text file is printed with the correct format.

See the following ppd for the printer:

hplaserjet.ppd via CLI:

> *FileVersion: "1.1"
> *LanguageVersion: English
10,17c30,41
< *PCFileName:  "pcl-4.ppd"
< *Manufacturer:        "HP"
< *Product:     "(GIMP-print v4.2.4)"
< *ModelName:     "pcl-4"
< *ShortNickName: "HP LaserJet 4 series"
< *NickName:      "HP LaserJet 4 series, CUPS+GIMP-print v4.2.4"
< *PSVersion:   "(2017.000) 705"

---

hplaserjet.ppd via web interface:

> *PCFileName:  "LASERJET.PPD"
> *Manufacturer:        "ESP"
> *Product:     "(CUPS v1.1)"
> *cupsVersion: 1.1
> *cupsManualCopies: False
> *cupsFilter:  "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 rastertohp"
> *cupsModelNumber: 0
> *ModelName:     "HP LaserJet Series"
> *ShortNickName: "HP LaserJet Series"
> *NickName:      "HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1"
> *PSVersion:   "(3010.000) 550"

My question is then, why are the two ppds different? When I created the printer queue via CLI, I specified hplaserjet.ppd for the driver but if you look at the ppd file above, it shows pcl-4.ppd.

Is there an option for the CLI so that I can specify using CUPS product instead of GIMP?

Thanks!
Angel