individual printer lists

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Sep 28 07:22:24 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have a large Linux terminal (about 100 terminals) installation at my school.  I have a single cups server serving approximately 10 printers around the network.

It is getting to the point where the printer list is getting unmanageable.  I am wondering if there is a way to provide individuals with custom printer lists?

For example, I would like user A to see printers 1,3 and 5 and be able to choos printer 3 as his default.  User B needs to see printers 2,4, and 6 and be able to select printer 6 as her default.  I don't see an obvious way to do this.  Does anyone know of a way this can be accomplished given the fact that everyone is essentially using the same computer (terminal server)  I'd be interested in any ideas, cups related or not.  I am familiar with the access controls and can restrict access to printers, but the long list and sitewide defaults are confusing to users.

Since different applications (firefox, openoffice) handle printing differently, it seems like this might need to be addressed per application?

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Derek