Can't access CUPS server remotely

Nathan nathan at juggler.net.nospam
Sat Sep 18 10:06:49 PDT 2004

Nathan wrote:
> I have CUPS installed on Debian 3.0r2.  I can't seem to configure Mac OS X *or* my WindowsXP box to connect to the damn thing.  I can print just fine locally on my linux box.  When I try to access it via webbrowser (i.e. http://192.168.1.106:631/admin or http://192.168.1.106:631/printers/toaster) it gives me a 403 Forbidden error.  http://localhost:631/admin and http://localhost:631/printers/toaster work just fine from my linux box.
>
> How do I configure my CUPS server to allow remote connections?  I can't seem to figure it out.
>
> thanks,
> -Nathan

Ok, actually I figured this out.  I had my security settings set incorrectly.  Now I can print from my windowsXP box, but I still can't get Mac OS X to print to it.  I select "Add Printer" / "IP Printing" / "Internet Printing Protocol".  Then it asks for a Printer Address and a Queue Name.  I'm not sure what to put in those fields.  It will take whatever I put in there, but it always results in the print job being stopped in a local queue.  The job never actually makes it to my linux box.