passing solaris printing options to CUPS server

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Thu Sep 2 05:18:47 PDT 2004

Anonymous wrote:

> Hello.
>
> on a solaris 9 printing client, I have defined a printer called hp4_0062_a4.  It is configured as follows in /etc/printers.conf
> hp4_0062_a4:\
>         :bsdaddr=cupslpd.cc.cec.eu.int,hp4_0062_a4,Solaris:\
>         :description=APPOPMP MO34 02/A22:
>
> On the CUPS server, the printer is defined as follows (/etc/cups/printers.conf)
> <Printer hp4_0062_a4>
> Info APPOPMP
> Location B-28 07/114
> DeviceURI lpd://hp4_0062_a4/lp
> State Idle
> Accepting Yes
> JobSheets none none
> QuotaPeriod 0
> PageLimit 0
> KLimit 0
> </Printer>
>
> When I execute the following command on the the solaris printing client, I get the printing prints in portrait (none of the options are passed): -
> lp -d hp4_0062_a4 -olandscape -ocpi13 -olpi8 /etc/hosts
>
> On the other hand, when I execute the same command on the cups server, the options succeed (e.g it prints in landscape).
>
> background Note: We are in the middle of a project to migrate from Xprint to CUPS.
>
> I would appreciate any advice, thanks in adv.,
> Colin

I guess the Solaris 9 spooler uses the LPD protocol (bsdaddr=...)
according to
RFC 1179 with some undocumented Solaris extensions (,Solaris). Thus, I
guess you
are stuck to the cups-lpd daemon with all its restrictions.

I suggest to compile CUPS on Solaris 9 and install only the client part
to be
able to use all the comfort CUPS offers.

Helge

H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
H.Blischke at srz-berlin.com
H.Blischke at acm.org