Slow spooling from W2K to Cups

exl at swbell.net exl at swbell.net
Wed Sep 29 22:04:00 PDT 2004

aschlager wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I use CUPS V1.1.21rc1 on a Debian woody system. I am printing from a W2K with the Adobe PS-Driver via LPR to the Cups-Machine.
> The W2K is printing about 20 entries from its print-queue to cups and then PAUSES for about 2-3 minutes.
> Then it continues to send.
> I cant see any error messages on Windows or in Cups.
>
> Any ideas/hints?!?
>
> -Andreas.
Had the same thing happen on a Win 2k3 server. It's a Windows issue. Instead of using LPR use Standard TCPIP printing, enter the CUPS server IP address and put the CUPS printer name under port. You will probably be informed Windows cannot find the device. Don't worry just chose Custom, and Settings and change the protocol to LPR. Make sure you enable LPR byte counting since Windows has their own crummy implimentation of LPR and things break if you don't. Under queue name just enter the CUPS printer name and you should be good to go.
Hope this helps!
Doc