[cups.general] allow users to cancel other users jobs

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Sep 18 05:30:38 PDT 2004

Erik Sjölund wrote:
> I would like to allow the users at my working place to cancel
> other users print jobs. But they should not need a password for this.
>
> A situation we want to avoid is: Just before leaving
> for the weekend one user submits a print job. The print job somehow
> makes the printer hang. None with root access is present. Another user
> that has a very urgent print job is then blocked from using the printer.
>
> I saw a patch that could allow me to do this...
> http://bostoncoop.net/adam/cgi-bin/weblog.pl?rightframe=linux
>
> Am I forced to patch cups for getting this functionality?
>
> Maybe I should file a feature request bug ...

Unnecessary; do the following steps:

     1. Create a group called "jobadmin" and list all users
        that should be given these privileges.

     2. Add a "SystemGroup" line to the cupsd.conf file:

            SystemGroup sys jobadmin

     3. Replace the "AuthClass System" line for the /admin
        location with:

            Require group sys

     4. Restart the cupsd process.