CUPS daemon on clients

David Cannings lists at edeca.net
Thu Sep 23 15:33:18 PDT 2004

I have one computer running CUPS with a printer attached via the USB port.  Printing works 90% fine and I can access it across the network using IPP/HTTP.  On a client machine, I'm using KDE and it seems to insist I have the CUPS daemon listening on the localhost, I then add the printer and specify the target as being across the network.

Is this correct, do I need CUPS running on the client machine as well?  It could be handy that I can change the paper source, size, etc. from the client but it could also turn out annoying if I have to make sure both sides have the same configuration.

Thanks,

David