CUPS: Cannot print to remote printer

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Sep 27 14:00:39 PDT 2004

Anonymous wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using RedHat 9 and I have 3 computers depending on the same printer (it's a HP LaserJet 4). I am using CUPS and can print everything perfectly in the computer which is functioning as the printer server (to which the printer is directly attached). So printing to a local printer is ok. What I am having troubles with is printing from the clients. I cannot print from the other 2 computers on which I try to add the printer as a remote printer. Here is what I am doing:
>
> I add the remote printer on the client computers using:
>
> /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p lp -E -v ipp://computername.domain.edu/printers/lp
>
> Then I go to the server and create a file /etc/xinetd.d/printer containing the following:
> service printer
> {
> socket_type = stream
> protocol = tcp
> wait = no
> user = lp
> server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
> }
>
> I also modify the cups.conf file on /etc/cups (on the server) by uncommenting the following lines
>
> Listen:631
> Browsing On
> BrowseProtocols cups
> BrowseAddress @LOCAL
> BrowseShortNames Yes
> BrowseAllow ALL
> BrowseInterval 30
> BrowsePort 631
>
> <Location /printers/lp>
> AuthType None
> Order Deny,Allow
> Deny From All
> Allow From 127.0.0.1
> Allow From nameof2ndcomputer.domain.edu
> Allow From nameof3rdcomputer.domain.edu
> </Location>
>
> Ok, this is it for the server. Now, on each of the other 2 computers (clients) I modify the cups.conf file by uncommenting the following lines
>
> Browsing On
> BrowseProtocols cups
> BrowseAddress @LOCAL
> BrowseShortNames Yes
> BrowseAllow ALL
> BrowseInterval 30
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowsePoll nameofprintersever.domain.edu:631
>
> But when I type lpq on the 2 clients I get an error message from one of them saying:
>
> Printer 'lp at localhost' - cannot open connection - No such file or directory
> Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
>
> I get no error from the second client, but it sends the jobs to print to the lp printer as if it were a local printer, not a remote one. Of course, nothing prints, for there is no local printer on that machine! It was suppose to send it to the remote printer!
>
> Ok, I am confused. I am doing the same thing in both clients yet both of them are trying to do different things.
>
> How can I fix this mess?
> I need to get those client computers to print!
> Can someone help me?

Ok, I solved the error message
Printer 'lp at localhost' - cannot open connection - No such file or directory
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol

But the clients still do not print.

I am not sure if the clients are sending jobs to print to the lp printer as if
it was a local printer, not a remote one. Well, on lpq from the clients I get:

lp is ready
no entries

Same thing on both the server and the clients.

And if I send a job to print, say the file hosts.allow, from the clients, on
lpq I see

lp is ready and printing
Rank Owner Job File(s) Total Size
active root 7 hosts.allow 1024 bytes

But I see no job at all listed on the lpq of the server (or of any other
computer which is not the one I am sending the job from), and of course,
nothing ever prints.

Now, if I go to the web interface (localhost:631) from the clients I see the
printer lp added as Remote Printer. (Btw, I do not understand why I see

Device URI: http://servername.domain.edu:631/printers/lp

i.e. the URI as an http instead of ipp which is how I added the printers on the
clients.)

Anyway, the clients do not print.

I checked the error_log file generated in /var/log/cups after I send a job to
print from the servers. There is an error message showing up there. Since I
imagine it might be annoying for people to see all the file posted due to its
length, I am just posting here the error message. Let me know if more info is
needed.

D [27/Sep/2004:13:40:16 -0700] [Job 8] Getting supported attributes...
E [27/Sep/2004:13:40:22 -0700] cups-polld: get-printers failed:
server-error-service-unavailable

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Please Help!

Z.