runaway cupsd

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Thu Sep 30 14:10:29 PDT 2004

Hi all.

A reproducible problem: The cupsd process will continously use up CPU every second until it's stopped.

Here's the scenario:

I have two CUPS servers A and B and a client C.

Server A is running while server B is on standby only(will be activated should Server A goes down). During this time client C can print through server A just fine. And this works the same way if B is running and A is on standby.

Now, when server A is down, server B comes up automatically. When this happens, the cupsd process in client C will try to connect to server A and never seems to time out hence using up CPU. While this is happening, client C can't print and any CLI will hung.

My two servers are running in AIX and both are at CUPS 1.1.20. What I don't understand is that I have the same setup using RedHat EL3 but have never seen this happened. I'm trying to move our servers from the s390 to an AIX environment because of resources issues.

Does anyone have a simillar setup and have experienced the same problem
and know a solution?

Thanks!
angel