Printing from Web-Application

Christof christof at nicht-ich.de
Sun Sep 5 00:16:09 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have an Web Application that should print on the client's printer (so the Web-client is the CUPS-server and vice versa). The problem is that the clients may use dial-in connections, so the IP address is not known in advance.

Am I right that the only way to use CUPS in this situation would be to install an new printer on-the-fly with lpadmin based on the remote IP address and delete it immediatly after the printjob?

Seems like a mild abuse of the concept, so I'm wondering if there's a smarter solution, like overriding the IP with a lpr command-line
switch.

Thanks in advance,

       Christof

PS: I got a working hack to embed a PDF-file in an IFRAME and print from the clint-side, but this is really ugly.