HELP: Configure CUPS server to use a proxy server

Bruce Dudek brucedudek at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 12:24:05 PDT 2004

Hello all,

Does anyone know how to configure CUPS to use a proxy server to connect to
another CUPS server? Here is my problem... I have a CUPS print server on a
RedHat 9.0 box at home and I want to print to it from my RedHat 9.0 box at
work. The problem that I have is the CUPS daemon tries to connect directly
to my IP address at home instead of routing through the proxy server at
work. I can see this using a netstat -an | grep 631. I have set my
http_proxy environment variable to proxy.mycompany.com:8000 and that did
not help. I have set the proxies using /usr/bin/gnome-network-preferences
as root and that did not help. I have even defined the http_proxy variable
in the /etc/init.d/cups startup script. I am able to print to the home
CUPS server using my Windows machine at work without a problem so I do
know that the proxies do allow it. I have been unable to find anything
about configuring proxies in the documentation but I did find some
references to proxies in the status messages. Would anyone have a solution
to this or be able to point me in the right direction to solve this
problem?

Bruce Dudek
brucedudek at yahoo.com