CUPS: Cannot print to remote printer

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sun Sep 26 19:06:11 PDT 2004

Hi,

I am using RedHat 9 and I have 3 computers depending on the same printer (it's a HP LaserJet 4). I am using CUPS and can print everything perfectly in the computer which is functioning as the printer server (to which the printer is directly attached). So printing to a local printer is ok. What I am having troubles with is printing from the clients. I cannot print from the other 2 computers on which I try to add the printer as a remote printer. Here is what I am doing:

I add the remote printer on the client computers using:

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p lp -E -v ipp://computername.domain.edu/printers/lp

Then I go to the server and create a file /etc/xinetd.d/printer containing the following:
service printer
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = lp
server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
}

I also modify the cups.conf file on /etc/cups (on the server) by uncommenting the following lines

Listen:631
Browsing On
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseShortNames Yes
BrowseAllow ALL
BrowseInterval 30
BrowsePort 631

<Location /printers/lp>
AuthType None
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From nameof2ndcomputer.domain.edu
Allow From nameof3rdcomputer.domain.edu
</Location>

Ok, this is it for the server. Now, on each of the other 2 computers (clients) I modify the cups.conf file by uncommenting the following lines

Browsing On
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseShortNames Yes
BrowseAllow ALL
BrowseInterval 30
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowsePoll nameofprintersever.domain.edu:631

But when I type lpq on the 2 clients I get an error message from one of them saying:

Printer 'lp at localhost' - cannot open connection - No such file or directory
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol

I get no error from the second client, but it sends the jobs to print to the lp printer as if it were a local printer, not a remote one. Of course, nothing prints, for there is no local printer on that machine! It was suppose to send it to the remote printer!

Ok, I am confused. I am doing the same thing in both clients yet both of them are trying to do different things.

How can I fix this mess?
I need to get those client computers to print!
Can someone help me?