CUPS daemon on clients

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Fri Sep 24 10:49:39 PDT 2004

David Cannings wrote:

> I have one computer running CUPS with a printer attached via the USB port.  Printing works 90% fine and I can access it across the network using IPP/HTTP.  On a client machine, I'm using KDE and it seems to insist I have the CUPS daemon listening on the localhost, I then add the printer and specify the target as being across the network.
>
> Is this correct, do I need CUPS running on the client machine as well?  It could be handy that I can change the paper source, size, etc. from the client but it could also turn out annoying if I have to make sure both sides have the same configuration.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

I'm not sure if it is sufficient to run only a client configuration
(i.e. only installing
the command line tools, the CUPS library, and configure a client.conf),
but if running
a cupsd it is sufficient to configure the browsing parameters on both
the client and
the server side so that your client gets the information on the server's
printers.
If permissions allow, you may configure printers on the server side
using the
KDE tools.

Helge

--