Adding printers remotely from the command line

John E. Vincent cups-bugs at lusis.org
Tue Sep 14 10:31:13 PDT 2004

Robert E A Harvey wrote:
> John E. Vincent wrote:
>
> > When you're adding 50-100 printers daily to two cups servers (active/passive failover), the web interface just does NOT work.
>
> Not that I can say anything useful, but what on earth sort of
> installation requires the addition of 50-100 printers per day?

About 700 retail locations with 2 to 4 printers each and a web-based application which initiates all printing of checks and contracts.

Combine that with adding new locations each and every day. We're currently in the phase where we're converting all of our stores so the demand is really right now but the greater goal is a custom application for managing CUPS itself. Hopefully I can submit it back as an alternative to the existing CUPS web admin.

The demand will slope off and we can go down to around 25-50 a week but the goal is long-term ease of administration.