Simplex banner page on a duplex printer

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Fri Sep 24 10:20:46 PDT 2004

Christoph Litauer wrote:

> Env:
> Suse Linux 9.1
> Cups 1.1.20
>
> Hi,
>
> just upgraded my linux and cups installation on my printserver. Some of
> my printers have duplex as a default configuration. Nervertheless I
> configured a banner page explicitly printing itself simplex by inserting
>
> statusdict begin /setduplexmode where { pop false setduplexmode } if end
>
> (the banner document is attached)
>
> This worked fine with cups-1.1.18.
> Using cups-1.1.20 prints an empty page after each banner page. This is
> because some filter (which one?) converts my banner page and inserts
> some code at the end:
>
> [... PS code ... ]
> showpage
>
> %%Page: 2 2
> showpage
>
> %%Trailer
> %%Pages: 2
> %%EOF
>
> (the converted banner page is attached, too)
>
> Since the effect only happens on duplex configured printers I suppose
> the filter inserts a second page because my banner just uses one page.
>
> I have 2 questions:
> 1.) Which filter converts my banner page?
> 2.) How can I modify my banner page so that it is printed simplex?

Quite simple. Since 1.1.19, I think, the pstops filter makes sure that
the number of
pages in a PS job is even if duplex is requested by PPD default or by
command option.

One of the reasons they (esw) dit this is that there ar printers around
which *cannot*
switch between simplex and duplex printing within the same job.

Simply skip your duplexmode statement.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke