Multiuser linux to multiaccount samba printer

Bernhard Ege bme at hst.aau.dk
Wed Sep 8 07:33:38 PDT 2004

We would like to be able to print to a samba (windows) printer from linux. Cups can do that, but apparently it is not able to use the individual user/password for the samba printer depending on who is printing.

Earlier (using fedora now) when using redhat 8.0 LPRng was default and I had fixed the lpr and backend to pass the xauth information allowing the lpd to ask for the password (using ssh-ask-passwd) associated with the user. The password was stored in memory for later printing usage. The first print needed to be made from the GUI or ssh-ask-passwd wasn't able to query the password.

With cups all programs seem to be changed to binaries instead of scripts, effectively preventing me from using the same hack.

We need the individual samba accounts to have accounting working.

So, my question is: Will cups at some time be able to query the user for a password when printing to a samba printer? Or will I have to switch to LPRng and redo my hack?