Authentication problem (UID 0) SOLVED

roblin at rassler.co.uk roblin at rassler.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 06:46:47 PDT 2004

> Just found the reason: SuSE's cupsd.conf by default contains
> "RunAsUser Yes". That maybe more secure but refuses root to authenticate.

My problem with this is that they doesn't seem to be any combination of access control that works with

RunAsUser Yes

on any setup that I have done.

So we end up with a lot of posts all over the internet cursing Cups, when in fact it is the distro that is selecting a combination of authentication that simply doesn't work.

Then eventually the user comes across the answer

RunAsuser No

but its too late, they have screwed up the cupsd.conf file so much by then that nothing is going to work.

I think it would be better for Cups to simple junk that setting.