[cups.general] Re: ESP gs produces large PCL files

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Mon Sep 6 06:04:07 PDT 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:34:45 +0200 Jerome Alet wrote:
> >     Does anyone know why the Windows driver creates that much smaller
> >     code than the drivers that I tried?
>
> IIRC, PCL can store its binary datas in several modes, some of which
> are compressed.

That's what I assume as well. Also there may be different ways to
include fonts in the code (e.g. outline vs. bitmap) which may account
for speed differences.

> Just a guess, you may want to download the PCL reference
> bpl13205.pdf and bpl13210.pdf (search these names in Google,
> the follow respectively second and first link)

Uh oh, sure I could read the manuals and look into the gs code what
methods are applied. But: Maybe someone reading this list knows the
answer from the top of his head?

Note that I'm asking mostly out of curiosity. I don't expect to find a
way to produce smaller PCL code using tools (gs, are there others?) that
run natively under LINUX.

Felix