[cups.general] Re: Cups Manually printer queque

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Sep 14 05:41:15 PDT 2004

Hello,

On Sep 14 13:00 Helge Blischke wrote (shortened):
> > I have the necessity to create a printer queque,
> > but with cups I do not know like making.
> >
> > lp:\
> >          :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
> >          :mx#0:\
> >          :sh:\
> >          :cd=/var/spool/lpd/filters:\
> >          :if=/var/spool/lpd/filters/as400script:\
> >          :lp=/dev/null:
> >
> AFAIK, CUPS provides no direct equivalent to LPD filters (if filters
> are used to process the input). But if you post your as400script,
> I probably may give you some hints to make a CUPS filter
> of it.

I think the so called "System V style interface script" is an
equivalent to the if filter.

See "man lpadmin", "man filter", and see
http://www.cups.org/spm.html#WRITING_FILTERS
and for an example have a look at
http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2003/06/jsmeix_print-cups-filters.html

As far as I know all what is different is described in "man filter":
Filters must be capable of reading from a filename on the
command-line or from the standard input ...
I.e. in contrast to an if filter a "System V style interface script"
will get the input as file and the file-name as parameter $6 (argv[6]).

Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX AG, Maxfeldstrasse 5                 Mail: jsmeix at suse.de