[cups.general] How to send jobs to a SCSI printer with cups?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Thu Sep 9 01:14:58 PDT 2004

Does the scsi backend use SG (SCSI Generic) device files to send the
jobs to a printer?

I have been unable to find device file names to use for the backend.

Also my goal is to be able to send PCL to this printer:

Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: HP5000/C50       Rev: 305
  Type:   Printer                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02

It is an Oce PageStream 372 high speed continuous printer.

Any ideas or hints welcome.

P.S.  This is an effort to switch our print spooling from proprietary
main frame IPDS over Bus & Tag to PCL over SCSI[1] using open source
software[1].  Anyone interested in this project, send me a message.

[1]
Native TCP/IP is not supported on this printer controller without an
upgrade to the printer costing several tens of thousands of dollars.

[2]
Actually there are two steps, the first outlined above with DocuRight
generating the PCL, and cups spooling it to the printer.  The next step
is to use PlanetPress to generate PostScript that GhostScript RIPs to
PCL.  If anyone knows of a production quality open source layout program
that is targeted toward printing variable data and generates PostScript
optimized for high (400PPM) print rates, then please let me know.  If
not, then I'm still looking for OSS PS and EPS manipulation tools.

Mike