[cups.general] Re: User-Authentikation with ldap instead of lppasswd?

Stefan-Michael. Günther (in-put GbR) S.Guenther at in-put.de
Sun Sep 19 09:34:30 PDT 2004

Hi Michael,

> > is it possible to perform the user authentikation via ldap instead of
> > lppasswd? I tried this by modifying /etc/pam.d/cups, but got no entry
> > in the logfiles of openldap.
>
> As long as CUPS is linked against the PAM libraries, it should use
> the LDAP accounts for Basic authentication.

ldd /usr/sbin/cupsd
 libpam.so.0 => /lib/libpam.so.0 (0x40140000)
Look's good.

And as far as I understood PAM, modifiy /etc/pam.d/cups the following way

auth    required        pam_unix2.so nullok use_ldap
account required        pam_unix2.so use_ldap

should result in a request to the LDAP-Server which was entered in
/etc/ldap.conf. I also changed /etc/nsswitch:

passwd: ldap files
shadow: ldap files
group:  ldap files

> That said, you'll still need to manage group memberships via
> /etc/group since CUPS does not currently support user and group
> lookups from LDAP, only from the system files and lppasswd.md5.

Hm, to be honest, now I'm a little bit confused: Together with PAM it's
possible, but this sounds to me as if it's not possible. (??)

Stefan

in-put GbR - Das Linux-Systemhaus
Stefan-Michael Günther
Moltkestraße 49	D-76133 Karlsruhe