Authentication problem (UID 0)

Christoph Litauer litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Fri Sep 24 00:21:14 PDT 2004

Using cups-1.1.20

I have a little authentication problem with the /admin location:

<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass Group
AuthGroupName sys
</Location>

Using this configuration and adding some user accounts to group sys, it
is no problem to access /admin using an account other than root. If I
try to authenticate as root, the error log tells me:

IsAuthorized: pam_authenticate() returned 7 (Authentication failure)!

Looks like I mistyped the password? Definitly not!

I have another account with uid 0 (and also member of group sys) with
which I cannot login, too.

The difference between the working and not working accounts is: The
working accounts are the ones from NIS, root is just a local account. My
nsswitch.conf uses "files nis" for passwd lookups.

Any ideas?

--
Regards
Christoph
Christoph Litauer                  litauer at uni-koblenz.de
Uni Koblenz, Computing Center,     http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer
Postfach 201602, 56016 Koblenz     Fon: +49 261 287-1311, Fax: -100 1311
PGP-Key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~litauer/public-key.html