36" rolled paper feed selection for HP2500CP?

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Sep 14 19:49:41 PDT 2004

I'm able to have our two HP DesignJet 2500CP plotter's print.
But I had to select the 3500CP model via cups.

The 2500CP uses a 36" paper rolled feed.  Under the 3500CP,
driver/PPD, there is no selection to use a 36" paper rolled feed.
The only choice that comes close is the ARCH E size, which is
36x48.  It meets the width requirement, but length is fixed.

The only issue is that my Layout team likes to use the plotters
and size their output, (via the Cadence tool), and print variable
sized output.  Anotherwords, print a drawing C, D or E size,
and the output is generated with the appropriate length.
(Width of course is always fixed to 36" inches).

By having the print feed set to ARCH E, I'll always get 36x48,
no matter what.  So if you request a C or D sized image, it'll
spit out 36x48.  Lot's of wasted paper.

I have a 2500CP PPD file (from Win NT 3.51).  Can I use that
somehow?  to get a 36" rolled paper feed option?

I've tried putting the 2500CP.ppd into /usr/share/cups/model
and restarting Cups....  (sounds like a bit more reading on my
part for going into this area).

I've gone through all the CUPS HP DesignJet printer options,
looking for something that has 36" rolled paper feed.  Nothing.

My config:

Red Hat Enterprise 3.0 WS
Cups 1.17
HP2500CP plotter -> configured using the 3500CP driver/ppd

thanx for your help.

-Gregg