[cups.general] Printing VERY slow

James Cammarata James.Cammarata at altertrading.com
Thu Sep 16 14:43:21 PDT 2004

I thought the CUPS PPD files were postscript.  And a2ps should be
sending postscript as well to the printer, maybe i'm mistaken there.

James Cammarata

Developer @ Alter Trading
Desk: (314) 872-2426
Cell: (314) 409-0583
Out the Ethernet, through the router,
down the fiber, off another router,
down the T1, past the fire-wall
...nothing but Net

James Cammarata wrote:
> Hi all, we're using cups here at my company to print to remote Jet
> Directs.  The server is at our central office here, obviously the
> JetDirects and printers are at each remote location.  These remote
> locations are serviced by WAN links ranging from 128Kbps to 512Kbps.
>
> The problem is this: printing is like molasses.  Before we moved to
our
> new server (Mandrake 10 running on an IBM x345) we were running this
> application on a Sun 450, and there were no problems with printing.
> Cups was not used on the 450.
>
> The application redirects it's output to a script using STDOUT, and
the
> scripts call either lp or a2ps to do the formating/printing.
>
> All methods of doing the printing are slow, and it doesn't matter
> whether I use the socket, lp, or IPP protocols to communicate with
the
> JetDirect, all are slow: about 1 page per minute.
>
> Our printers include old HP 6P's, 13xx's, 22xx's, 23xx's, 4200's,
etc.
> Essentially 85% HP laserjets.
>
> I have tried using both the CUPS default laserjet driver and hpijs.

Is there a reason why you haven't used the PostScript mode of these
printers (all but the 6P supports PostScript as a standard feature)

You can use the Windows 2000 PPD files that come with the printer
with CUPS, and then you won't be sending PCL graphics over your
WAN links...