[cups.general] How to send jobs to a SCSI printer with cups?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Sep 10 12:33:56 PDT 2004

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> [Sorry, but I don't have a news server with the cups newsgroup]

It is only carried by news.easysw.com, it isn't a Usenet group.

> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>> Mike Fedyk wrote:
>>
>>> Now, it looks like I'm getting a SCSI error when I try sending a job.
>>> I've been able to send jobs to non-scsi postscript hp lj8000 via
>>> jetdirect from this system in raw and foomatic configurations, so my
>>> base setup is working to some degree.
>>

>> SCSI errors normally show up as kernel messages, so you can use
>> the dmesg command to see the last bunch of errors...
>

> Yes, but cups scsi backend is using sg which iirc sends raw scsi
> commands over the bus.
>
> What configurations are known to work with the scsi backend?

I've successfully talked to an old Canon BJC-800 and an Epson
Stylus Pro 10000 over Firewire using the SCSI backend.

> What can I do to find what commands are having trouble with the scsi
> printer?

There is only one command we issue, the group 0 print command,
along with the total number of bytes in the current buffer (8k in
the current implementation).

As I said before, the only place you can find SCSI errors is in
the kernel log, available via the dmesg command.