HP Photosmart 7260 doesn't print photos will with hpijs

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Fri Sep 3 20:52:54 PDT 2004

My 7260 prints photos, but they don't look as good as when I printed on
Windows.  The image's colors are slightly off (more red, less yellow, a
little lighter), the contrast is less and the overall image doesn't look as
sharp.  It's still pretty good, but not as good as what I got with Windows.

Any suggestions?  Are there commercial print drivers that would be better?
Something I can tune in the hpijs settings?  I hope I can find something,
because printing is important enough to my wife that it may drive her back
to Windows.

The machine is running Debian unstable, with CUPS 1.1.20, hpijs 1.6,
foomatic-db-hpijs 1.5 (20040621).  I'm comparing by printing images from
the GIMP, with all of the "adjust image" settings at default values.  When
I installed the print driver (using KDE's printer control tool) I set the
printout mode to "Photo (on photo paper)", although I would think that
leaving the normal setting and letting the printer auto-detect the paper
type would be more convenient (I tried that, BTW, print quality was much
worse -- lower-resolution, obvious dithering artifacts, etc.).

Thanks,

 Shawn.