[cups.general] How to send jobs to a SCSI printer with cups?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Fri Sep 10 21:19:35 PDT 2004

Michael Sweet wrote:

> So, the current code is correct.

Yes, you are right.

So, the problem seems to be something with the communication at the
backend level.  If I run this command to send some pcl to the printer:

( exec -a 'scsi:/dev/sg1' /usr/lib/cups/backend/scsi oceps372a-16 root
abc 1 "" /var/spool/cups/d00016-001)

I get this error:
WARNING: SCSI command timed out (2); retrying...
WARNING: SCSI command timed out (2); retrying...
WARNING: SCSI command timed out (2); retrying...
WARNING: SCSI command timed out (2); retrying...

And if I send it to my old cd-rom I get the same error (same
scsi_req.status).

[1]says the device is not ready.

What else can I do to check why it isn't ready?

[1]
http://www.danbbs.dk/~dino/SCSI/SCSI2-08.html

      8.2.14.3 Sense key and sense code definitions

|   2h   |  NOT READY.  Indicates that the logical unit addressed cannot be   |
|        |  accessed.  Operator intervention may be required to correct this  |
|        |  condition.                                                        |