Adding printers remotely from the command line

John E. Vincent cups-bugs at lusis.org
Thu Sep 16 18:37:52 PDT 2004

pipitas wrote:

> *What* exactly didnt work?
>
> (I've been using this command frequently to add printers remotely. I never
> had a problem, if the remote host was configured to allow the access from
> my local IP to its "/admin" location. Is that a given in your case?)
>
> Are you on the same subnet or do you have a gateway or firewall in between?
>
> Are you aware of the fact that the "-P" (path to PPD option is meant to
> be a local path on your own workstation) and that this PPD is then pushed
> to the remote CUPS server? (I encountered this misunderstanding several
> times....)
>
> Cheers,
> Kurt

Actually that may have been my problem, the misunderstanding of the ppd file location. I just gave it a shot and it worked! Now the question becomes, is there a way to pass the password on the command line somewhere? Maybe CUPS needs a soap interface ;)

Thanks again for the advice! At least this way I can get going on something.