[cups.general] Big problem with printserver !!

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Thu Sep 9 06:21:17 PDT 2004

Your configuration snippets seem ok except for your "print command" in
smb.conf.
If you set "printing = cups", the "xxx command" options related to
printing are
silently ignored. But from (I think) samba 3.03 on, there is an "cups
options"
keyword that allows you to specify whatever you may add to a lp or lpr
command
via the -0 option.
But that doesn't explain your printing problems. Did you modify your Win
boxes
recently? Be sure to specify ASCII print streams whereever possible,
especially
when printing from Adobe Acrobat.
The Reason is  - at least for most HP printers - that their PostScript
interpreters
behave like hooked to a serial channel, i.e. there are certain bytes
treated as
sort of serial control characters.
The only workaroune then is to use the TBCP protocol (available via the
pstops
filter from CUPS 1.1.19 on) or use the hpnpf backend (to be found on the
links
section on the CUPS web site) which supports TBCP even with raw
printing.

BTW, as for the JetDirect cards, from my experience the only reliable
protocols
are AppSocket (port 9100, what hpnpf uses) or ftp (what the newer
JetDirect cards
support). Both the IPP and LPD protocols on these devices don't seem to
be
very reliable.

Helge

--