holding jobs

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Sep 10 04:17:21 PDT 2004

p.mdriyaz at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We jave a lan setup with cups server running. Now when the client
> gives a print the job gets printed immediately. But we require the
> print jobs to get queued at the server indefinetly till the jobs are
> manually permitted by the admin at the cups server.
>
> i was provided with the following solution
>
> lp -o job-hold-until=indefinite filename
>
> though this worked ...but while using xwindows and printing from
> applications (e.g open office writer) how is it possible to mention
> command line arguments?? I looked through the cupsd.conf but couldnt
> find an option to set the job defualt status as held.

Use the "lpoptions" command to set default options for each queue.
That will work for any application that is aware of lpoptions and
for apps that just call lp or lpr to print a file.

> looking through the archives i found a post saying this feature will
> only be available only with cups 2 onwards.

1.2, and this is only required for Windows clients talking via IPP;
for LPD and SMB there are ways to add the options.