[cups.development] customized printer list per user

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Sep 17 13:22:40 PDT 2004

Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:
> than those I see in the solution proposed by you, Kurt. For example
> you minimize the fact that CUPSD can't support passwords per-printer
> if the printing client is detected as local, something I consider a
> pointless limitation of CUPSD.

Um, you *can* setup per-printer authentication very easily; for
example:

     <Location /printers/printername>
     AuthType Basic
     Require valid-user
     </Location>

> could then query the server for all the printers in the system or
> only the printers added by a given user.

There is no notion of per-user printers in CUPS, mainly because
CUPS is not something that runs as part of a user session but is
a system service.  The only time it makes sense to provide per-user
printers is for remote logins, and in that case there is no reason
not to just point the application at the remote CUPS server since
it is already handling the user's printer anyways.  CUPS already
supports this via the ~/.cupsrc file mechanism and via environment
variables (CUPS_SERVER and IPP_PORT)...