holding jobs

p.mdriyaz at gmail.com p.mdriyaz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 21:12:39 PDT 2004

Hi,

We jave a lan setup with cups server running. Now when the client gives a print the job gets printed immediately. But we require the print jobs to get queued at the server indefinetly till the jobs are manually permitted by the admin at the cups server.

i was provided with the following solution

 lp -o job-hold-until=indefinite filename

though this worked ...but while using xwindows and printing from applications (e.g open office writer) how is it possible to mention command line arguments?? I looked through the cupsd.conf but couldnt find an option to set the job defualt status as held.

looking through the archives i found a post saying this feature will only be available only with cups 2 onwards.

but then when the option is availabe for command line, why hasnt the option to make this defualt been added?

Is there any workaround for this problem?

Thanks.
-Riyaz