Question on Cups 1.121

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Sep 7 06:33:14 PDT 2004

pieterjandeboeck at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Will it be possible to install CUPS 1.1.21 on earlier versions of
> MacOSX. It will go with 10.4, but can one install it on 10.1, 10.2 or
> 10.3 for example?

You can, however OS updates will likely overwrite the installation
and you'll have to re-install the newer CUPS.  We're working with
Apple to "fix" this in Tiger, however it will still be an issue for
older MacOS X releases.

Also, I do no recommend requiring a newer version of CUPS unless you
are prepared to provide support for it and all of the potential
problems it could cause.

> Does this new release coincide with the release of the new Mac OS
> 10.4 or is there a potentially earlier target date?

1.1.21 will come out much earlier than Tiger, and we'll probably be
into the 1.2 release series by then...