Cups clients wont connect

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Mon Apr 4 06:10:47 PDT 2005

We have several machines running FC3 (cups 1.1.22) and there is no M$ boxes on the network to gum up the works, so this should be easy.  One of the servers has all of the printers setup on it and they all work fine.  I want the other machines to be cups clients, but I cannot get it to work.

On the server, I have added the following to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
ServerName  lisa

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 10.121.131.255
</Location>

Browsing On
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseOrder Deny,Allow
BrowseAllow from @LOCAL
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
Listen 127.0.0.1:631
Listen 10.121.131.255:631

which I think tells our network that lisa is the print server and that she is to listen for cups traffic on the NIC.

On the clients, I have added the following to /etc/cups/client.conf
ServerName  lisa

when I do a service cups restart, the service starts ok but an lpstat -t command displays the error message
lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused

If I remove the ServerName entry from client.conf, lpstat -t works but it does not find the printers which are setup on the print server.  I can ping lisa so I know that the network is good.

What am I missing?  Does anyone know of an idiots guide to setting up cups client printing?  The closest I've found (which describes exactly what I am trying to do) is http://axljab.homelinux.org/Cups_-_Network_Client_Access and I have done what this says to do, but I cannot get my clients to connect to the cups server.

I am very puzzled as the cups admin manual says
"CUPS supports automatic client configuration of printers on the same subnet. To configure printers on the same subnet, do nothing. Each client should see the available printers within 30 seconds automatically. The printer and class lists are updated automatically as printers and servers are added or removed."
The manual says what I am trying to is possible and it implies that it will work without any setup at all - clearly this is a fib.

Please help!  Thanks