[cups.general] duplex doesn't work - please help

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Apr 5 04:58:02 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Apr 5 13:16 Helmut Jarausch wrote (shortened):
> Yes, my test file was created by pstops - I need that ( 8 pages to 1
> double-sided page).

Why don't you (or can't you) use the CUPS "Document Options"?
See the "CUPS Software Users Manual"
http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sum.html#4_3

I think I have mixed up something.
The particular problem is not caused by wrong or missing DSC comments.
But other problems are caused by wrong or missing DSC comments.

Some time ago there was the following explanation on this list:
The culprit is the pstops utility from the PSUtils package.
It inserts a procset into the PS job just after the
header comments which - among other tings - defines the
setpagedevice operator as a noop.
Thus, any defaults defined by your printer's PPD or given
as options in the print command are just ignored.
The only chance you'd have is with printers that need things
like media size, duplexing or the like to be specified by PJL
commands or with native IPP printers that natively support
these attributes via the IPP interface.

If you cannot use the CUPS "Document Options":

Create two PostScript code snippet files duplexnotumble.ps
%!PS
statusdict /setduplexmode known
{statusdict begin true setduplexmode end} if {} pop
and duplextumble.ps:
%!PS
statusdict /setduplexmode known
{statusdict begin true setduplexmode end} if {} pop
statusdict /settumble known
{statusdict begin true settumble end} if {} pop
and send this files before the real printing data like
cat duplexnotumble.ps file.ps | lp -d <queue>
or to avoid any additional CUPS filtering
cat duplexnotumble.ps file.ps | lp -d <queue> -o raw

You may have to adapt the PostScript code snippets
according to your printer.

I assume this works either because it doesn't use the setpagedevice
operator or because the PostScript code is processed before the
operators are set to noop.

> So, what are DSC comments and is it save to remove them?

Regarding DSC (Document Structuring Convention), see the
"PostScript Language Document Structuring Conventions Specification"
from Adobe.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de