Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Apr 5 09:02:07 PDT 2005

Thierry Klein wrote:

> "Helge Blischke" <h.blischke at srz.de> a écrit dans le message news:
> 20870-cups.general at news.easysw.com...
> > Thierry Klein wrote:
> > >
> > > "Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?"
> > > This is the error message I get every time I try to print.
> > >     I have CUPS 1.15 and ESP GS 5.50.1 running on a SunBlade1500 under
> > > Solaris 9.
> > >     I finally found the problem, I guess. It seems that "pstoraster" is
> not
> > > installed in the filter directory of cups. I found pstoraster.o in the
> obj
> > > directory of the GS installation directory. Pstoraster.c is described as
> the
> > > "RIP-file" for CUPS. But where is the executable? Why could I not find
> it?
> > > Should I use a foomatic-rip file? And so, how? Or should I manually link
> > > pstoraster.o, but in this case how? Because it does not look as a
> standalone
> > > program: main function is not defined.
> > >     At least, there is a definition or a variable missing somewhere.
> > >     Does anyone understand anything to this?
> > >
> > > Thank by advance,
> > >
> > > Thierry Klein
> >
> > in CUPS 1.1.15, you should have a shell script named pstoraster (you
> > didn't tell if
> > you compiled CUPS from source or used a binary package) and, presumably,
> > README.pstoraster.
> >
> > copy the script to your active filter directory and follow the
> > instructions in the README
> > file.
> >
> > Helge
> >

> Well, I looked carefully at the package (because I installed CUPS from a
> binary package) and the version seems to be more accurately 1.1.18 and I did
> not see anywhere a file called "pstoraster". I have another package (not
> installed), version 1.1.20 and no trace of such file neither!
> Do you think I could get it from anywhere?
>
> Thierry Klein

Well, the distributor you got the binary package from should either
provide the pstoraster
stuff as part of his/her CUPS package or offer an additional package
containing the
properly configured ESP-Ghostscript containing just that stuff.

I cannot give you more specific advice as I don't know what distro you
use. For instance,
the SuSE 8.2 includes CUPS 1.1.18, ESP-gs, and the CUPS installation
includes the
pstoraster script which properly calls EPS-Ghostscript.

Helge

PS:
(1) from the README (source distrbution from www.cups.org):
Also, please note that CUPS no longer includes the Ghostscript-
based pstoraster filter.  You *must* download Ghostscript
separately and patch it using the files in the pstoraster
subdirectory, or download the ESP Ghostscript distribution from
the CUPS web site. For more information see the README file in
the pstoraster subdirectory.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung