CUPS issue on my G-5

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Apr 12 01:22:32 PDT 2005

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question, but here goes...

I run OS 10.3.8 on a G-5. I am trying to use the internal modem for sending and receiving faxes.

Apple did not create a way to see if your faxes were properly sent. Someone at Apple had me use my browser... set it to http://localhost:631/printers

This gives me a screen that shows the printers I  have hooked up including my internal modem. By viewing this screen I can see jobs that have been completed. Jobs that are pending. (Received faxes go to a folder on my hard-drive.)

Problem: 1. If I send a fax and then want it to stop I am denied access. It asks for my name and password. I put in the main name and password for the machine (administrator), but it won't accept it. Is there some other password I might have set months ago that I forgot about? Can I remove some file and reset my password for the CUPS?

Problem 2: Is there anyway to control the modem? Hang it up? Disengage it? ? Reset it?

I formerly used Global Village's software for faxing and it was very good. Reliable. I could see just where I was in the sending process and what had been either sent or received. I rely on my computer for faxing. I need something reliable. If not this process is there some software that will work with the modem and do what I require? Any help is greatly appreciated.

KaCe Whitacre
Tacoma, WA