Using only BrowseAddress

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Tue Apr 12 09:45:24 PDT 2005

Hi all.

Is it possible to have load-balancing and fail-safe operation if using
only BrowseAddress on the servers.

I have two servers and configured with the same printers and queues.
On the client, when I do an "lpstat -p", it returns all of the
printers as expected.

When I sent a print job, it printed correctly through Server A. When
shutdown Server A and print again, I thought it would send its job to
Server B but instead it returns the following error:

"lpr: error - unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable"

What, if any, do I configure in the client system?

Do I need to set both servers to BrowsePoll each other?

What's the best way to do this without using BrowsePoll from the
clients(if possible)?

Thanks,
Angel