[cups.general] Margins with CUPS+SAMBA

Mario Lipinski mario.lipinski at gymszbad.de
Tue Apr 12 12:25:40 PDT 2005

Hello,

we are using CUPS with Samba to supply printing services to our Windows
clients in a SAMBA Domain.

There were problems with the margins, for example the CUPS Testpage had
no borders and from SAMBA on printed webpages there are the header and
footer missing (title, url, page count, etc).

This happens for several printers. Todays experiences were made with a
HP LaserJet 1200 series printer using the recommended pxlmono driver.

I got the alignmargins tool from linuxprinting.org and after some trying
i got the margins setup correctly for linux. The test page looks quite
pretty, but printing from windows - no chance.

So i used cupsaddsmb to redistribute the ppd file to samba and
reinstalled the cups-samba driver (there are problems with the
capitalisation of the filenames of the adobe drivers for cupsaddsmb, but
this i got solved by renaming). so there is the right ppd file on the
windows machine (i had a look into it).

What can i do to have the alignmargins settings applied also when
printing via windows (which is the main application at our site)?

And why do I have to use alignmargins at all? The windows driver would
choose correct margins by self. Same problem also with other printers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx in advance.
Yours sincerely,
--
Mario Lipinski              VOIP:     +49 511 696045510
Systemadministration        Fax:      +49 721 151-207196
Gymnasium Salzgitter-Bad    E-Mail:   mario.lipinski at gymszbad.de
                            Internet: http://www.gymszbad.de