[cups.general] RE: CUPS issue on my G-5

Matt Broughton walterwego at macosx.com.invalid
Wed Apr 13 08:29:46 PDT 2005

In article <20989-cups.general at news.easysw.com>,
 "Hawker, Daniel" <Daniel.Hawker at animal.co.uk> wrote:

> FYI cupsd.conf is the main config file for the CUPS daemon and is hence
> a system file. In OSX its hidden away from prying eyes so the casual
> user can't make a mess of it. On my RHEL3 box its in /etc/cups/ but as
> mentioned am not near an OSX box to look. From the Terminal, use locate
> to find out where the file is located.

In OS X the file is stored at /private/etc/cup/cupsd.conf.

> Remember that the usual Apple Printer Setup Utility also edits this file
> when you use the utility, so any changes you make are likely to get
> overwritten when used, killing your carefully crafted config file. This
> is especially the case with System Updates.

I will agree that some system updates may modify the cupsd.conf file.
However, I don't believe that anything you do through Apple Printer
Setup Utility will modify the cupsd.conf file.  Can you cite a possible
example?

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.