Problems with setting the default printer tray

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Sun Apr 17 11:07:27 PDT 2005

Andre Doeking wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We have a problem with the standard input tray under Windows XP. The default printer tray is set in the ppd-file (laserjet.ppd) which is also there under Windows XP. But the Microsoft Postscript Driver doesn't set the value, what means, that in the GUI of the printdriver the default input slot is set to "Automatically".
>
> In the Webinterface of Cups we have set the default tray i.e. for a HP 4 Plus using the standard laserjet.ppd.
>
> Our originally ppd files from HP for the 4000,4050,4100 have another bug with the default printer. There it's not possible to set the default tray input, the input is always set on tray 1. Have you an idea to solute this?
>
> The problem in the GUI of the printer driver appears for always every printer.
>
> I hope somebody has an idea.

Not a direct solution do the issue but maybe a workaround. As most HP
printers
use automatic tray switching (if one gets empty, the next one will be
automatically
selected), and this is only hardly to control, we configure the
different
trays to contain different media types (like plain, letterhead, ...).
These usually
can be configured using the printer's built-in web client, and we select
media
type instead of tray number when printing. Thus far, this works well
with a variety
of HP printers.

Helge

--