[cups.general] Re: cupsd dies on lpadmin -x printername

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Apr 18 07:56:08 PDT 2005

Hallo,

On Apr 10 14:49 bernd at rhm.de wrote (shortened):
> ... I made a new installation from CD on a separat box, made a loop
> adding 20 printers and after that removed them in a second loop.
> In media every 10-th run of the loops cupsd dies.

At the moment I am running Suse Linux 9.3 on my workstation
and for me it works well:

for i in $( seq 100 999 )
do echo -n "$i "
   date
   lpadmin -p p$i -v file:/dev/null -E -P /usr/share/cups/model/Postscript.ppd.gz
done

creates the queues with constant rate (about 3 queues each second)
without any problem and

for i in $( seq 100 999 )
do echo -n "$i "
   date
   lpadmin -x p$i
done

removes them (about 60 queues each second) without any problem.

Even under heavy load with active print jobs using for example

for i in $( seq 100 999 )
do echo -n "$i "
   date
   lpadmin -p p$i -v file:/dev/null -E -P /usr/share/cups/model/Postscript.ppd.gz
   lp -d p$i /usr/share/doc/packages/cups/spm.pdf
done

works without any error, but of course now it takes much much more
time to complete.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de