cannot login to manage Printers from the Web

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Apr 27 09:53:23 PDT 2005

> I want to manage Printers from the Web.
> I go to website
> http://localhost:631/admin
>
> It prompts me for user id and password.
> I enter the user id "root" and the root password for the workstation.
> This error message appear:
> "Unauthorized
>
> This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the resource."
>
> What should be the correct user id and password?
>
> I use SuSE 9.0
> I install cups by "YaST Control Center", "Install and Remove Software", "cups" and enable all cups packages.
You need to edit your cupsd.conf file in /etc/cups,

there are several places you could have shut yourself out, but the simplest is to look at the /admin (location) section

for root access authclass should be System,
allow from all

I have mine set for a group  (my group) so we have
authclass group
allow from all
authgroupname xxx,yyy

giving access to all users in the xxx, and yyy groups.

Now even within this group I could shut down access from a particular domain, or I can shut down access to the "printers" allowing them to look at jobs, but not messing with the queues,
so under /location /printers  (all printers)
I added a Deny from nodename
thereby not allowing access from machines not directly