Problem with 'pdftops' filter

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Apr 28 05:32:18 PDT 2005

Julien Bossert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When printing a PDF file the content of the page is shifted more or
> less
> 18 mm to the top of the paper and 3 mm to the left.  Here is a sketch:
>
>    +-----+     +-ABC-+
>    |     |     | DEF |
>    | ABC |     | GHI |
>    | DEF |     |     |
>    | GHI |     |     |
>    |     |     |     |
>    +-----+     +-----+
>
> I obtain what appears on the right: the top part of the page is
> missing
> and there's a blank at the bottom of the paper.
>
> I'm using CUPS 1.1.23 (Debian Sarge) on my Brother HL-5150D.
>
> This happens with every kind of PDF files (produced by me with
> different
> softwares or downloaded from the web).  Moreover, when using Scribus
> for
> instance, if I export a PS file the printing is good, but if I export
> a PDF one it fails.
>
> Then I made a little test:
>
>     mpage -1 -bA4 test >t1.ps    OK
>     ps2pdf test-1.ps t2.pdf      Shifted
>     pdftops t2.pdf t3.ps         Shifted
>     pdf2ps t2.pdf t4.ps          OK
>
> Tests with other PDF files show that 'pdf2ps' allows me to print those
> files correctly.
>
> Does it mean that the 'xpdf' based 'pdftops' CUPS filter behaves wrong
> in my case?  Did anyone had the same problem?  How can I solve it?  Do
> I have to replace the filter by a 'ghostscript' based one?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Julien

Try the "alternate pdftops filter" which is a wrapper (written in Perl)
to the
original pdftops utility from the xpdf suite. It supports the use of a
configuration
file (see: man xpdfrc for the details) and thus things like scale to fit
and
centering of the logical page onto the physical page etc. etc.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung