DISABLE continually asks for user password

david_fox at 3com.com david_fox at 3com.com
Thu Apr 14 08:16:44 PDT 2005

We have 1.1.17 running on our Linux system. I was doing some testing on our application's ability to send print jobs to a printer.  One of the negative tests was to see what happens when the queue is disabled.  I tried to use DISABLE from the application's user account and see the following:

dbfipmsg1:/usr/app>disable Laserjet
Password for app on localhost?
Password for app on localhost?
Password for app on localhost?
Password for app on localhost?
.
.
.

I'm typing in the correct password and find there is no way to break out of the loop.  ^C and ^D have no effect.  The app user does not have operator privileges and thus is not able to stop the queue.  I ended up logging in as root in another window and killing the DISABLE process.

Can DISABLE be fixed so that it checks for appropriate privilege, or allow ^C or ^D to break out, or limit the number of times the password is asked for.  It should also say what the problem is rather than nothing.

CUPS works great otherwise!  This was my first time really using it.  Was very easy to get going.

Thanks!

David Fox