lpd broken since 1.1.15 :-((

Orlando Muñoz omunoz at tec.dsr.telecom.pt
Tue Apr 19 02:21:57 PDT 2005

So now it breaks software that follows the standard, like the lpd implementation of RedHat 6.2... Nice move... M1cro$oft like...

I have an old P100 machine using RH 6.2 and lpd, connected to my parallel printer. I could print to it correctly using the LPR client from my Winblows XPlode, but my Linux machine couldn't...

Dear Sirs: if there is an RFC1179 saying that the LPD should only accept jobs comming from ports 721 to 731, you should make that the default. Users with non-standard instalations should have the possibility of overriding the default, but the default should be the standard!

I had the same problem with an AXIS 540+, and never figured out what was the problem, and finaly gave up on the damn thing. So I printed from my Linux to the Winblows XPlode machine with the printer attached to the parallel port.

Orlando A. Muñoz

P.S.: One of the reasons I like Linux is because it follows standards, open standards, and that guarantees cross-platform compatibility. Don't undermine this.