[cups.development] How to redirect print job to standard CUPS

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sat Apr 30 09:23:06 PDT 2005

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:17:09PM +0530, Yashwantray Patil wrote:

> i have a query regarding CUPS Backend . I am writing a custom CUPS backend
> in which i get  all the options selected by the user while printing
> and in the backend i want to redirect that job to some other backend ( lets
> say IPP backend) with all the options selected by the user .
> And i have created the queue without specifing the IP address ... ie it is
> not pointing to any specific printers ... and i am printing using that
> queue...
> so now i want to send that job to some printer with the IP Addesss say
> 10.255.115.121 using IPP backend in my custom CUPS backend.
> Now what should happen is .. the print job should go to the printer with the
> specified  IP through IPP backend ... How could i achieve this to be happen?
>
> I tried calling IPP backend with all the command line argument i received in
> the custom backed with system() function ... but it got crashed  ..
> so i would be thankful to you all  if you help me in this regard ...

Launching a CUPS backend may be difficult in some computer languages
because they expect a special value in argv[0].

What you are trying to do seems like reinventing the wheel to me...

I'd suggest that you try Tea4CUPS which can do exactly what you
want and MUCH more :

  http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/Tea4CUPS/action_Presentation

Tea4CUPS is Free Software licensed under the terms of the GNU GPL.

hth

Jerome Alet